Grand View Avenue

On February 23, I went to an all-day spiritual writing workshop at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. We spent some time free writing and going through the process of revising and re-seeing our work. I want to share with you what I wrote about the night before when my husband and I stood at a scenic overlook outside the city.

A statue of the Virgin Mary stands across the street in the parking lot of Saint Mary of the Mount Parish, watching us as we stand at a railing overlooking the city. I wonder how many couples she has seen stand in this place. Has she had her fill of heartbreaks and hearts mended, of laughter and selfies? Is she still awed by this view, the sight beyond the railing? Perhaps she is why the street is called "Grand View." To stand there day after day and grandly view the lights of the city -- the blinking warnings on tower tops to airplanes and buildings painted in greens, blues, pinks, and yellows -- to stand and see the lights when they come on and see the twin city come to life in the river below reminds me of a ritual. It reminds me of incense and organ stops, icons and altars. 

I wonder if she minds that I block her view while I stand there, taking deep breaths as I forget the traffic, the poor signage to get there, and the potholes. For a moment, I even forget that she is still behind me until we turn and see her still keeping vigil. And when we leave, she will be there still, watching whatever new couple comes to Grand View Avenue to see the view that still takes her breath away.

What takes your breath away? What makes you forget, if even for a moment, that you were stressed or anxious? 

                                                         view from Grand View Ave 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not My Favorite Bible Story

The Great Social Media Detox of 2018

Death and Taxes But Mostly Death