The Joy of an "Other Office"

I had writer's block this week. Yesterday I sat in my office and stared at a blank word document until my eyes burned and I realized I'd been staring at a blank word document for a solid five minutes. I hate days like that: days when I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am just not going to be productive. And I have a philosophy: that's okay. It's okay to have unproductive days. I have to remind myself of that philosophy sometimes, because I have another more dominant philosophy: that productivity is a positive thing.
So today I started my day at the coffee shop. The writer's block cleared up while I drank a pumpkin spiced iced coffee and ate a lemon poppyseed muffin while the labrador who lives in the coffee shop watched me with the hope that rivals only what Phillies fans are feeling right now. It's amazing how a change of scenery can clear your mind and open up the flood gates of creativity.
Actually, I guess it's not that amazing. There's some science behind it. How often do they tell you in weight loss meetings that if you hit a plateau, it means you have to change up your routine? Sometimes it's the small changes that make the biggest impact. I'm pretty sure that's on a t-shirt somewhere.
It's what I love about having an "other office." It's an "other place" I can go to clear my head. It's not always in the same place. Right now, I'm writing this in a bike shop that doubles as a coffee shop. It took some time for me to warm up to the place, but I can drink coffee and pet a dog for free, so I'm on board with this now. And actually, the atmosphere is perfect. For example: right now I'm sitting at a table by the window. There's a man across the street surrounded by caution tape while he works on some masonry on the town triangle. I see all kinds of trucks drive by and people walking. People come in and out of the cafe. Some are dressed in biking gear, complete with the shirts that have pockets along the back hem for biker's convenience. Some come dressed in business clothes, stopping on their way to work or during a 15-minute mental break. Others are clearly students, lugging back packs and tapping on their phones while they order their latte. At the moment, there's no one else getting their coffee to drink here, but there's some good people-watching happening from this little round table in the corner. Some I do get to talk to, which is always cool. I love hearing people's stories.
And for me, that's a good change from the four walls of my office and the sound of my desk phone. And let's face it, as a pastor, if I'm going to learn about the community where I serve, I want to actually be in the community and not just in the church.
I'm not saying having an office is a bad thing: having a real office is a god-send. But the change of scenery is a huge blessing. I also know I'm supporting a local business, which is important to me. And it's good coffee, which is my drug of choice in the morning.
Sometimes my other office will be the library. Sometimes it's the park (except this week when it's a 100 degrees outside and last week when it rained like every day). Rarely is my other office at home where my cats and housework distract even my best intentions. And sometimes, the familiarity of my actual office is what I really need.
Where do you feel inspired? Where do your creative juices best flow? Where do you feel most productive? And where do you go when you need to give yourself permission to not be productive? Maybe you've been feeling "stuck." Or in a creative rut. Maybe you even feel that rut sitting in the pew in church. What if you changed your seat? What if you saw the sanctuary from a different perspective? Maybe all you need is a change of scenery.
Blessings to you!


                                     (my current view from the table at the coffee/bike shop)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not My Favorite Bible Story

The Great Social Media Detox of 2018

Death and Taxes But Mostly Death