Some Thoughts about Peter's Mother-in-Law


29As soon as they left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30Now Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told him about her at once. 31He came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her, and she began to serve them. -Mark 1:29-31

As I’m writing this, my husband is home with a bad cold. So many people are sick right now, whether it’s with a cold or flu, or something worse. It’s the time of year when hospitals (and, unfortunately, funeral homes) are busiest. January is just a tough month for physical (and emotional) health. So I sympathize with Peter’s mother-in-law, who is home sick with a fever.

I always notice two things about this passage. First, I notice that Peter has a mother-in-law, but no where ever do we ever hear about Peter’s wife. One assumes if he had a mother-in-law, he had a wife. What did she think of Peter leaving his job as a fisherman to follow this religious nut named Jesus? Did she go to? Did she follow and listen from the wings? Was she somewhere with the other women when they hung Jesus on a cross? What did she think of Peter’s preaching gig in the book of Acts? Was she even still alive by the time Peter started following Jesus? I have so many questions, but the Bible doesn’t give me anything regarding Mrs. Simon Peter (Some interpret I Corinthians 9:5 to mean that Peter’s wife was alive and well, but who’s to say for sure?).

The second thing I always notice about this passage is that no sooner does Jesus heal the mother-in-law than she gets up and “serves them.” She throws off her covers, throws on her robe, and gets the boys their lunch. That used to bother me, as if the only reason Jesus healed her was to get a sandwich. But when I’m sick, I notice something about myself. I want to do things. When I’m sick, I feel bad that I can’t do anything. I feel guilty that my husband does more around the house than I do when I’m sick. And when I feel better, the first thing I want to do is clean something.

True story. You can tell I’m feeling better when my cleaning skills go from 0-60 in thirty seconds or less. It’s like all the pent-up energy of being sick bottled up and exploded from the bottles of Green Clean and Lysol. There’s a glorious feeling that comes from getting to do your normal things after spending time being sick. Peter’s mother-in-law didn’t have to get up and make sure Peter and his friends were taken care of. She was probably thrilled to get out of bed after being down with that fever.

It’s comforting to know that Jesus will reach out and help us get back to our best selves when we’re feeling down and out. Though some illnesses don’t end the way we want them to end, it’s comforting to know that the touch of Jesus will still heal us or bring us home.

I still wish Peter’s mother-in-law (and wife) had names, but since they don’t, I can insert any name in there that I want. I can imagine that it’s my own self that Jesus reached down and healed. I can imagine God reaching out to take my husband’s hand and clear his bad cold. I can trust that God will be with me when I don’t feel well, and I can trust that Jesus will be with my loved ones who are under the weather. I can trust that when we do heal in our minds and bodies, it’s so we can get back to who God calls us to be.

How are you feeling today? Are you feeling sick in your mind, heart, or body? What kind of healing are you longing for? What prayers for someone else are ruminating on your heart? Lift it all up to Jesus. I’m lifting you up today in my prayers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not My Favorite Bible Story

The Great Social Media Detox of 2018

Death and Taxes But Mostly Death