Introverts Gonna Introvert


            Apparently, January 2 is World Introvert Day. It became an unofficial holiday in 2011 and you celebrate it by letting introverts introvert, especially if you yourself are an introvert. As one article puts it: “It’s all about pajamas and Netflix.”
            But I think we can celebrate introverts every day! Having a special day for something might bring awareness to it, but it also marks it as separate-from-normal-every-day-things. So today I’m celebrating introverts. And I’ll celebrate introverts tomorrow. Because I, myself, am an introvert.
            The biggest thing I want people to know about me as introvert is that introvert does not mean anti-social. I think more and more people are understanding this in our culture today, but there are still times when an introvert personality trait can come off as cold or unapproachable. The reality is that I love people. My call is to be with people, and I enjoy the one-on-one meetings that I have with people. I love going to the coffee shops Monday mornings and spending time with people (my new favorite drink is the sugar free strawberry rose flavored iced tea). Being an introvert doesn’t mean you hate being around other people (far from it!). Being an introvert simply means that I draw energy from solitude. I refill my spiritual well in silence, like when I journal at night or when I go up to Bangor, PA and walk around the monolith park. I process a lot of things internally and deeply enjoy spending time with a few close friends vs. going to big parties.
            You can usually tell when I’m “peopled out” and in need of the recharge. A good friend of mine and I have coffee sometimes and he’ll tell me that he can see in my face when it’s time to wrap up. He’s super extroverted and I highly value our friendship. Introvert does not mean that we don’t get along with extroverts. It also doesn’t mean that we can’t be extroverted from time to time. Introverted simply means I value my solitude for spiritual growth.
            I just finished reading Adam McHugh’s great book, Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture. My favorite thing that he does is point out all the different gifts introverts bring to the church’s table. He wrote, “As introverts grow in understanding how to maneuver in community, we are greatly helped in knowing what we have to offer others, more fully discovering our gifts as we seek to use and cultivate them.”[1] The top things McHugh says introverts excel at are compassion, insight, listening and giving space, creativity, and calming presence. His point isn’t that extroverts can’t offer those things, but these seem to be the top gifts that introverts offer their churches.
            So it made me think of all the ways our church has opportunities to involve both extroverts and introverts. In this space, I want to celebrate the introverts and all the ways we contribute:
1.      Working the audio/visual equipment during worship
2.      Singing in the choir or playing hand bells
3.      Helping to edit the church bulletin
4.      Providing food for fellowship hour or special events
5.      Baking cookies or helping to prepare a meal for our mission project where we serve a meal
6.      Serving as an usher (handing out bulletins, lighting the candles before worship, making sure doors get open and shut at the right times, putting the numbers on the hymn board, changing the water in the glass for the worship assistant, etc.)
7.      Gardening
8.      Crafting for our big craft fair
9.      Sending cards to people
10.  Helping to keep our church building looking clean
11.  Visiting one-on-one with homebound members (I’m so grateful for our deacons, who are both extroverts and introverts!)
12.  Attending Bible study discussion groups
13. Joining me for one-on-one conversations at the coffee shop

That’s just the start! There are so many different ways to celebrate introverts in the church. We may cringe at the suggestion to get a partner and do some group work. We value those moments when leaders of workshops invite us introverts to be introverts and choose not to get a partner but answer reflections questions on our own (love it when that happens!). McHugh highlights our biblical brothers and sisters who are introverts (even Jesus seemed to value going off in the mountains by himself to pray!).
            So today, I celebrate you, my fellow introverts. If you are an introvert, what has been a meaningful practice for you to express your introvertness? What ministries in the church help you joyfully be an introvert? What else would you like to see for introverts? I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below (blog interactions = great for introverts)!


[1] McHugh, Adam. Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in An Extroverted World. (Intervarsity Press: Illinois, 2009). Page 96.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not My Favorite Bible Story

The Great Social Media Detox of 2018

Death and Taxes But Mostly Death