Group, Ungroup, and Move to Front

     As an English/Communications major in college, I took some graphic design classes. Graphic design was definitely not high in my skillset, but it was interesting to learn how to use different features in Photoshop and Illustrator (skills I’m pretty sure are next to useless now because it’s been so long since I’ve used either program and I’m sure both have changed substantially in the last ten years). And yet, while the programs have changed, I know at least a few features carry over into other programs I do use frequently. As I create images with quotes and flyers to post on our church’s social media pages, I find myself especially using the group, ungroup, and move to front features.

    Grouping, ungrouping, and moving to front (or to back) feature simply refers to how you collect different images on a screen. If you have a flyer with three different images overlapping (think background, bright blue box, and then a quote), you can arrange the objects (images) so the blue box doesn’t cover up the text. You can group all the images together so they move as one object or you can ungroup them so you can move them one at a time.

    I think we have the option to group, ungroup, and move things around in real life, too. Sometimes I look at my to-do list and wonder how it will all get done. When I look at the list, I get to decide what order to do things in. I get to decide how much I will do (or how little) and what to do first. I can group things together – some things, like laundry and doing dishes, can be done at the same time. I can ungroup things – maybe this item needs to go on next week’s list. I can reorder things and move something to the front if it’s more important and needs to be done right away.

    Life is about balance. Can we be comfortable with the things that don’t get done? What are the consequences for not doing something? Occasionally, we find if something didn’t get done, it’s possible it didn’t need doing in the first place. And of course, some things get us into trouble if we don’t do them (Did you pay your car bill this month? Did you remember to wish Dad a happy birthday?). Balance finds the things that have priority and gets them done without too much anxiety. Balance helps us look at the to-list without getting overwhelmed by the number of things on it. And sometimes, balance teaches us that a to-list isn’t necessary at all (though I will still keep my to-do list because it keeps me organized).

    By ungrouping things, we can also make room for people to help us. When I lived alone, I couldn’t ungroup the household chores. I lived alone, so the bathroom wasn’t going to get clean if I didn’t clean it. Now my spouse and I share the household chores. We have ungrouped them so they can be shared. When we share the load, it often makes the load easier to carry. Ungrouping reminds us how important it is to ask for help.

    And again, some things we can’t ungroup. Some things have to be mine to do. Writing my sermon each week for example, is my task. It’s not a task I can really share. Certain things are my responsibility, but it’s possible to find things to delegate when we are honest with how much time, energy, and imagination we actually have to get things done.

    Practice grouping things. See what can be combined. Ungroup things. Divide and conquer, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Move things to back or front: learn how to prioritize. Peace be with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not My Favorite Bible Story

The Great Social Media Detox of 2018

Death and Taxes But Mostly Death